Machiavelli and Lord of the Flies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty Re: Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader

Post by Leapfrog Lou Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am

Machiavelli states that in order to be an effective leader, one must know right from wrong, and when it is appropriate to do both. I think it is impossible to achieve this because everyone thinks differently, everyone has a different definition of right and wrong and the time to do which. Ralph is the best leader in this case because he focuses on the task at hand-survive and get off the island.

Leapfrog Lou

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty @Tzeng

Post by Rishi Gowda Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 am

I completely agree with you except the fact that in Lord of the Flies, leading by fear is counterproductive. Because all the kids have the similar goal of survival, they must be a well oiled machine, not a dictatorship. Therefore, the best leader is the one who can work with the citizens and do what is best without adding to the already overflowing fear.

Rishi Gowda

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty Re: Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader

Post by Nikowleesun Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am

@olivia.ogs You made some good points, but might want to elaborate on them. Maybe give some examples of character traits Ralph possesses that you believe make him a good leader. Also, give examples (including text evidence) of why you believe Jack is not a good leader.

Nikowleesun

Back to top Go down

Post by DezC Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 am

Machiavelli speaks on many qualities that can be possessed allowing one to be a good leader. In lord of the flies Ralph was selected as the leader and right away he shows he can take on the position. He knew that things had to get accomplished and so he took on the initiative of assigning jobs. He didn't run it like a dictatorship but instead more of a democracy. He listened to what the other boys have to say which means everyone can be a team player.

DezC

Back to top Go down

Post by tylerh Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 am

@AidanM In your response you say that leaders that inssight fear are the best leaders. You then say jack has this ability to lead and use fear. How come Ralph, who doe not use fear, end up being the leader?

tylerh

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty What makes a great leader

Post by MorganJ Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

Machiavelli argues that a great leader is someone who finds the balance between kindness and cruelty. On one hand, "every prince ought to desire to be considered clement and not cruel" (Machiavelli). Kindness will win him the affections of his people. However, strict enforcement of the rules will keep his people in line and therefore will strengthen the nation. By being cruel and strict, a leader is showing kindness to his people because they will be ready for any outside attack. Similarly in The Lord of the Flies, Jack and Ralph balance each other out in their kindness and cruelty. Ralph is the gentler leader while Jack is stricter and demands obedience. Each reflects two sides of a great leader.

MorganJ

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty @DezC

Post by MorganJ Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:20 am

I agree with what you say. Ralph leads with kindness and he knows that cruelty is not what the boys need in a leader at that time.

MorganJ

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty @LeapfrogLou

Post by MorganJ Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 am

I disagree with your point. I believe people, as humans, have a basic idea of right and wrong. Even if it is buried beneath layers of presumption and cultural ideals, everyone has a moral compass and knows that everyone deserves respect.

MorganJ

Back to top Go down

Machiavelli and What Makes a Great Leader - Page 3 Empty @sarah

Post by morgan w Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am

I agree with your statement that princes should use their mistakes as a learning experience and I think you bring up a very interesting point in saying that Piggy would make a good leader.

morgan w

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3